Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Light of Eärendil

"I give you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out." ~Lord of the Rings


I was thinking about this light in the Lord of the Rings tonight while I lay flat on the ground looking up at the sky. It was a cloudy night and I couldn't seem to make out any stars. Then all of the sudden I saw a single pinpoint of light high up in the sky. It wasn't extremely bright or twinkly, it was understated if anything. But I was able to gaze at it for a long time. And it struck me then, that somehow that light was like the light of Eärendil that Galadriel gives to Frodo. What a difference one light can make in the midst darkness and shadow. A single bit of light can give direction, comfort...hope.

I may be reading way too much symbolism into the story, but I saw how the light of Eärendil can even be a symbol for the Bible, the light of God's word. Like in many great stories, Frodo, the weary traveler is tired and scared and somewhat lost. He holds onto this light however and at the time of his greatest need it gives him courage, helps him to find his way and even becomes a weapon of sorts against the things that lie in darkness.

So many times the Bible can be seen as boring or a book of rules or what have you, but it's times like these that make me realize that it is a powerful and beautiful instrument that God gives us to help us in our times of need.

Some comforting thoughts to me as I often feel like Frodo, going out into the unknown, conquering my own monsters and trying to make my way on the path of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment