Thursday, August 6, 2009

Whistler's Paintings

Here are three renditions of James Whistler's early etchings of the night landscape. They are on display in the Freer Gallery of Art where I worked this summer. The Freer and Sackler Galleries are mostly asian art, so its lovely to see some western pieces mixed in among the rest. I love pen and ink and these pieces are so beautiful to me. I really love how the simplicity is so calming and yet so beautiful. They really are masterpieces (I tried to copy a few of his pieces earlier- trust me they looked nothing like his). Something about this medium and especially the approach he takes with his art moves me. Its like beautiful music- that indefinable element that moves the spirit causes the heart to soar. Art appreciates the simple landscape and makes it beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment